Senior Control Room Attendant
The Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive Security Department ensures security of collection of Art and Film valued at more than $80 million, in addition, the museum’s art exhibits are valued at over $30 million per year. Under general supervision of the Security supervisor, maintains surveillance and enforce museum security regulations; monitor and interpret security alarm and environmental systems; monitor cameras, visitors, and facility space; control deliveries to the building, monitor staff access to the building and secure spaces; assist the public, and when serving as special event coordinator, oversee security staff for special events. This position requires the ability to monitor several security devices simultaneously, and balance the need for high security, with the need to provide service to visitors, staff, and vendors.
- Control Room Guard:
- Serves as control room lead on assigned shift.
- May supervise control room and gallery security guards (students) as assigned.
- Controls access for staff and visitors entering restricted areas.
- Controls use of museum staff key, access cards, and maintains logs.
- Manages packages delivered to the museum entrance and loading dock.
- Monitors and interprets security and environmental control panels and respond to alarm activations that occur.
- Monitoring multiple (80+) cameras at locations throughout the building and grounds.
- Utilizes surveillance system to monitor secure and sensitive locations in combination with alarm panels, entrances, galleries and collection storage space.
- Investigates and documents entrances to controlled areas, changes in humidity or temperature, and various system malfunctions.
- Follows up when environmental alarms are activated to ensure they are responded to.
- Special Events and Programs:
- Serves as one of the Special Event Security Coordinators in the Security and Operations Department.
- Crowd control for internal, University, and private special events which vary in size and level of complexity.
- Security surveillance for events which are often demanding due to the large number of attendees, and the social nature of events.
- Responsible for overseeing event preparation and set-up.
- Verifies that all event related deliveries are complete and vendor set up is effective.
- Supervises and participates in set up of tables, linens, chairs, sound equipment, glassware and other equipment and materials as required.
- Prepares package storage for events.
- Works closely with staff, event sponsors and vendors to ensure venue is prepared.
- Ensures all guests and vendors adhere to security and safety regulations and maintain University policies for alcohol consumption.
- Ensures that all security staff keep food and beverages in designated areas and out of exhibition spaces.
- Monitors and allows only invited guests to access special event areas.
- Assists with crowd control.
- Oversees clean up, and ensures that all equipment is returned to storage.
- General Security and Operations:
- Assists with providing general security and operations support.
- Covering other security posts as needed.
- Serving as temporary supervisor of student and contract guards as needed.
- Serving on committees, working with campus departments responsible for facility and or security/police services, and special department projects as assigned.
- Verifies that student gallery attendants maintain a professional appearance and periodically inspect galleries to ensure attendants are carrying out their duties.
- Periodic rounds of facilities to ensure safety.
- May open or close the museum facilities in a secure manner.
- Other Duties as Assigned:
- Embraces the principle of continuous learning and development by engaging in opportunities for training, workshops, seminars, and continuing education pertinent to the position or at the suggestion of the supervisor.
- Actively contributes to a team environment that fosters and promotes a culture of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB) within the Security and Operations team and across BAMPFA.
- Ability to monitor numerous security system components simultaneously, and balance the need for high security and provide good customer service to vendors and visitors.
- Must be alert, accurate, and attentive to detail.
- Must possess the ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Must be able to work well as a team member and respond effectively to changing conditions.
- Must be available to work weekends, evenings, and holidays as needed.
- Must be dependable and on time for shift start.
- Must be able to serve on-call if emergency situations arise 24/7.
- Knowledge of MAC OS and MS office; FileMaker; Google mail, calendar, and drive; Adobe Acrobat.
- High School Diploma or equivalent experience/training.
- Experience working in security and working with the public.
Salary & Benefits
This is a 100% full-time (40 hrs a week) career position and eligible for full UC Benefits.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University, please visit the University of California's Compensation & Benefits website.
The budgeted hourly rate for this position is $24.19 (Step 9). Due to compliance with California SB-1162, BAMPFA will not be able to offer a candidate anything above this posted amount.
How to Apply (Job #52568)
1. Access our careers site.
2. Sign In to access your account or if you are not an existing user select the New User link to create one.