Mid-Day Security Specialist
- Maintain order among crowds at public events using means other than firearms. Responds to alarm activations and inspects areas for security, fire, and accident hazards, and takes appropriate action to minimize risks. Controls public safety rule infractions and irregularities in public buildings such as auditoriums, museums, and theaters.
- Assists and directs visitors. Maintains positive public relations with all persons visiting assigned areas and parking lots. Maintains a prominent presence in assigned areas to deter criminal activity. Ensures established procedures are followed.
- As needed, the supervisor duties of the gallery attendant supervisor and control room supervisor may be assigned and may serve as a control room attendant. The supervisory duties include the supervisory role for control room staff, gallery attendants, and other personnel assigned to protective service duties. Provides general security and operations support. This can include covering other security posts as needed, providing crowd control, and acting as the first responder to art, film, or patron-related incident, resolving visitor concerns, etc.
- Supervising the protection of the university property including open art displays maintains and reviews logs, recordings, databases, and other communications records. Ensures all records, including confidential items and electronic data, are securely handled, stored, accessed, and released only in compliance with applicable law and policy. Provides related training as needed.
- May be asked to serve on committees, work with campus officers responsible for building and or security services, and works on special projects. Works with campus and professional repair services and conducts minor maintenance and repairs on systems.
- In conjunction with the gallery attendant supervisor, manages email communications, maintains gallery attendant database sheets and schedules, makes assignments and inspects galleries to ensure gallery attendants are carrying out duties effectively. Corrects and approves gallery attendant timesheets in the Cal time payroll system.
- Working closely with the BAMPFA staff oversees and helps with facility events and operations, including special events held after hours. Activities including hands-on participation in set up, clean up, and other event needs. Serves as one of the security special events coordinators. Resolve problems or issues that may disrupt events.
- Maintains order in the facilities, at events, and programs. Ensures that vendors and guests meet security guidelines. Coordinates with the Security and Operations Administrator in order to determine gallery attendant staffing requirements for events. Maintain gallery attendant schedul in order to meet the determined staff requirements for events and general operations.
- Controls closing of the galleries, controls entry to restricted areas and checks the identity of the person seeking entry. Uses the camera system and other security equipment to actively monitor and regulate activity.
- Knowledge of regulations regarding hazardous materials, fire codes, building codes, and all other relevant safety requirements and ability to apply concepts to operations in assigned unit.
- Knowledge of or the ability to learn quickly organization, HR and UC policies and processes. Knowledge and ability to monitor compliance with relevant regulatory agencies federal and state requirements.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in mentoring and advising employees. Actively cooperates and supports the work of others.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and execute plans to meet deadlines.
- Organizational skills to applied to coordinating assigned staff schedules and unit operations.
- Interpersonal skills to effectively work well with others to achieve common goals. Customer service orientation to quickly address questions or issues.
- Ability to apply judgement to quickly evaluate issues and on the spot identify a potential solution within defined procedures and policies.
- Interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and / or stressful situations with a multi-cultural population and escalate appropriately.
- Experience working in a security role in a museum.
- Experience working with students in a professional environment.
- High school equivalency and/or equivalent experience/training.
- First Aid, AED, Emergency preparedness trainings.
Salary and Benefits:
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary will be commensurate with experience up to $46,500.00.
Information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University is available here.
Application Review Date:
The First Review Date for this job is: June 4, 2021
Visit the UC Berkeley jobs portal and search 18904, the job number for this position. Follow the application process detailed on the website. To be considered, applications must be completed through the campus online website. Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Please include, as part of your application a brief (1-2 paragraph) statement on your contributions to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in your professional experience.
Advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion are fundamental to our UC Berkeley Principles of Community, which states that “every member of the UC Berkeley community has a role in sustaining a safe, caring and humane environment in which these values can thrive.”
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct