Director of Marketing and Communications
The mission of the UC Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive (BAMPFA) is to inspire the imagination and ignite critical dialogue through art, film, and other forms of creative expression. BAMPFA has developed an international reputation for its active and ambitious exhibition programs, as well as for the quality of its art and film collections and research resources. BAMPFA is an institution with a stellar history and an exciting future.
As a member of BAMPFA's Senior Management team who reports to the Executive Director, the Director of Marketing and Communications will supervise the Marketing and Communications team, leading the creation and implementation of integrated marketing and public relations plans for BAMPFA's website, overall brand awareness, exhibitions, film series, educational programs, events, community initiatives, development programs and other outreach efforts to focus the institution's brand and increase the organization's visibility, attendance, and income. Duties include developing strategies to deepen the BAMPFA's audience through a variety of traditional and social marketing, and coordinating with other departments within the institution, as well as being responsible for community relations and all BAMPFA visual identity and design projects.
- Supervises communications team (including design, editorial, and communications); sets annual goals, strategies and metrics, conducts weekly department meetings, conducts reviews and evaluation of team staff.
- Meets overall marketing and communications goals as determined by BAMPFA Director.
- Selects, trains, evaluates, and manages staff and contractors responsible for implementing marketing and/or sales projects, programs, plans, strategies, etc.
- Coordinates department's work in design, production, and distribution of publications and other promotional materials, including Internet and web materials, videos, social media, press releases, advertisements, catalogs, brochures, flyers, signage, and A/v presentations, et cetera.
- While staying abreast of best practices, effective and innovative developments in the field, leads institutional marketing efforts, in coordination with the communications team and other institutional departments.
- Manages day-to-day marketing operations.
- Administers programs to promote awareness of and engagement with BAMPFA within the campus community and the general public.
- In coordination with communications, design, editorial, development, and other departments, develops annual marketing plan, including priorities for allocating institutional resources for most effective, mission-driven outcomes.
- Leads the development of marketing goals, objectives, and strategies, and sets target markets.
- Plans feature stories, edits, writes copy, and coordinates other writers for Program Guide and website, to deepen existing audiences as well as attract new target audiences.
- Develops and leads social media marketing, including research, goal setting, and evaluation.
- Personally engages with social media to increase BAMPFA online recognition and brand awareness.
- Maintains existing, and develops new, Strategic Partner relationships to maximize BAMPFA brand exposure, attendance, and income, and reduce marketing costs overall. Responsible for sustaining a minimum of 2 strategic partnerships.
- Works closely with the Development Department to ensure that member and donor messaging is strategically integrated and amplified across all relevant communication channels.
- Coordinates with the Development Department to establish and fulfill marketing and recognition benefits for corporate, foundation, and individual sponsors. Supports the design and implementation of annual donor acquisition and recognition campaigns.
- Develops relationships with vendors, sponsors, and media outlets, and community contacts in order to maximize marketing dollars.
- Collaborates on promotional strategies with other Campus and community organizations.
- Establishes and maintains contacts with marketing professionals and vendors; e.g. mailing houses, postal service, list brokers, advertising representatives, media contacts, et cetera.
- Develops, produces, and distributes publications and other highly effective promotional materials for marketing purposes (e.g. Visitor Guide).
- Manages advertising placement and schedules.
- Manages the use of surveys and other marketing research instruments to collect appropriate data information to design and develop effective marketing initiatives and communications with special attention to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging efforts.
- Administers marketing and/or sales budget(s).
- Administers marketing and communications budget as assigned, ensuring that budget goals are met; as required meets revenue-generating goals through effective relationships with external sources.
- Develops and implements market research instruments or utilizes standard market research instruments to collect information necessary to effectively market goods and/or services; plans and conducts survey as required.
- Provides monthly marketing reports.
- Oversees the compilation, analysis, and evaluation of market data.
- Measures, reviews, and reports on the progress of marketing plans and projects.
- Conducts market research to determine best use of marketing resources.
- Serves as staff liaison to the Board Marketing Committee.
- Attends all committee meetings, plans agenda, and circulates minutes in a timely fashion.
- Ensures that committee has clearly defined annual goals Maintains ongoing contact with Board Committee Chair
- Strong knowledge of or ability to quickly learn BAMPFA, including its mission, vision, achievements, infrastructure, programs, and services.
- Strong knowledge of current and emerging industry requirements and best practices in areas of marketing.
- Strong skills in strategic planning, to effectively organize resources, establish priorities, and achieve desired results.
- Strong skills in managing staff including selection, training, evaluating and mentoring staff at all organizational levels.
- Strong interpersonal communication and political acumen skills, including advanced skills to effectively represent the campus with other internal and/or external constituencies.
- Strong market research, analytical, and problem recognition/avoidance/resolution skills.
- Strong skills to produce results and achieve predetermined goals within budget and time constraints.
- Strong knowledge of or ability to quickly learn applicable campus policies.
- Strong knowledge of state and federal laws regarding copyright and other licensing issues.
- Strong skills in event and media activities management.
- Pro-active, energetic, enthusiastic, results-oriented, problem-solver.
- Knowledge and experience developing highly effective community relations plans.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Access; Adobe Photoshop, and social media tools.
- Thorough knowledge of application and use of statistics and research practices in developing marketing strategies.
Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent experience/training
Salary and Benefits:
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary will be commensurate with experience up to $115,000.00.
Information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University is available here.
Application Review Date:
The First Review Date for this job is: February 17, 2021.
Visit the UC Berkeley jobs portal and search 15149, the job number for this position. Follow the application process detailed on the website. To be considered, applications must be completed through the campus online website. Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background:
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct