Please review our new safety protocols before you visit.
BAMPFA Visitor Policies have been developed to ensure the safety and enjoyment of BAMPFA by all visitors, as well as the safety of the artworks entrusted to our care. In many cases these policies are based on local, state, or federal laws or policies of the University of California. Please take a minute to review these policies before your visit.
- Please do not touch the artworks, pedestals, or cases, unless posted signs specifically invite you to do so. When pointing at an artwork, please make sure your hand is at least 18 inches away from the work.
- Please treat each other and our staff with respect—no profanity and/or engaging in rude, inconsiderate, or abusive behavior.
- No outside food or drink (except for water bottles with a tight seal). Items purchased in the cafe must be consumed in the cafe space or outside the building.
- All bags and parcels are subject to inspection.
- Photography and short smartphone videos without flash are permitted in the galleries, unless otherwise noted.
- Use of tripods and selfie sticks is prohibited.
- Recording devices are prohibited in the theater.
- Please silence cell phones and other electronic devices. Talking on phones is not allowed in galleries or theaters.
- Please use only pencils in the galleries; pencils are available at the admissions desk. The use of pens is not allowed.
- Individuals may sketch in the galleries with pencils using sketchbooks no larger than 11 x 17".
- Smoking is not permitted.
- Children under 13 must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Visitors not maintaining control of minor children may be asked to leave.
- Pets are not allowed in the building.
- Shirt and shoes are required (please no cleats or wheeled shoes).
- Blocking of museum areas and interfering with the free flow of pedestrian traffic in and around the museum is prohibited. This includes entrances, admission lines, stairwells, gallery spaces, and access ramps.
- Please do not climb on any part of the building.
- Carrying or displaying placards, signs, or banners is prohibited.
- Only BAMPFA-produced advertisements, pamphlets, handbills, and flyers may be distributed or displayed on the premises.
- Anyone refusing to follow directions from BAMPFA staff will be asked to leave the premises.
- The following items are prohibited:
See a full list of prohibited items >
- oversized bags
- long umbrellas
- skateboards, bicycles, hoverboards, rollerblades, scooters
- baby-carrier backpacks (front-carrying packs allowed).
Additional Visitor Policies >