Senior Control Room Attendant
Control Room Guard:
- Serve as control room lead on assigned shift. May supervise control room and gallery security guards as assigned. Enforce security regulations and control primary access to secure areas. Control access for staff and visitors entering restricted areas. Control use of museum staff key, access cards, and maintains logs. Manage packages delivered to the business entrance and loading dock. Monitor and interpret security and environmental control panels and respond to alarm activations that occur. There are multiple cameras at locations though out the building and grounds, which require monitoring in the control room. The surveillance system is utilized to monitor secure and sensitive locations in combination with alarm panels, entrances, galleries and collection storage space. Position investigates and documents entrances to controlled areas, changes in humidity or temperature, and various system malfunctions. Follows up when environmental alarms are activated to ensure they are responded to.
Special Events and or assignments:
- Serves as one of the Special Event Security Coordinators in the Security and Operations Department. The building and grounds are used for internal, University, and private special events which vary in size and level of complexity, and crowd control needs. Security surveillance for events is often demanding due to the large number of attendees, and the social nature of events. The coordinator is responsible for overseeing event preparation and set-up. Verify that all event related deliveries are complete and vendor set up is effective. Supervises and participates in set up of tables, linens, chairs, sound equipment, glassware and other equipment and materials as required. Prepare coatroom and package storage for event. Work closely with staff, event sponsors and vendors to ensure venue is prepared. Ensure all guests and vendors adhere to security and safety regulations and maintain University policies for alcohol consumption. Ensure that all security staff keep food and beverages in designated areas and out of exhibition spaces. Monitor and allow only invited guests to access special event areas. Assist with crowd control. Oversee clean up, and ensure that all equipment is returned to storage.
General Security and Operations:
- Assists with providing general security and operations support. This includes covering other security posts, serving as temporary supervisor of student and contract guards, serving on committees, working with campus departments responsible for facility and or security/police services, and special department projects as assigned. Assists supervisors in gallery attendant/control room attendant training and periodically inspect galleries to ensure attendants are carrying out their duties.
- Position may be assigned duties which require them to make periodic round of the facilities to ensure safety and participate on shifts which requires them to open or close the museum facilities in a secure manner.
- Ability to monitor numerous security system components simultaneously, and balance the need for high security and provide good customer service to vendors and visitors.
- Must be alert, accurate, and attentive to detail.
- Must possess the ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Must be able to work well as a team member and respond effectively to changing conditions.
- Must be available to work weekends, evenings, and holidays as needed and be flexible in scheduling.
- Must be able to serve on-call if emergency situations arise 24/7.
- Knowledge of MAC OS and MS office; FileMaker; Google mail, calendar, and drive; Adobe Acrobat.
- Experience working in security and working with the public is desired.
- Experience working with student personnel.
- High school equivalency and/or equivalent experience/training.
- A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
Conviction History Background:
- This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Salary and Benefits:
This is an non-exempt, biweekly paid position. Hourly pay is $19.46 (Step 1.0)
Information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University is available here.
Application Review Date:
The First Review Date for this job is: June 30, 2021
Visit the UC Berkeley jobs portal and search 19744, the job number for this position. Follow the application process detailed on the website. To be considered, applications must be completed through the campus online website. Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct