Virtual Gallery + Studio: This Land Was Made for You and Me
For ages 6–12 with accompanying adult(s)
San Francisco artist Catherine Sherman leads community quilt projects throughout the Bay Area and explores the narrative possibilities of quilts through such series as Tree of Life and Beyond Red, White, and Blue.
Inspired by Rosie Lee Tompkins’s favorite patterns, create a one-of-a-kind collage that explores and expands upon the familiar stars and stripes of the American flag. Incorporate something with special meaning for you, such as favorite prints, patterns, words, or photographs, along with repurposed papers and other recyclable materials found at home. Workshop led by artist Catherine Sherman.
Please gather these materials before our session:
- One background (suggested 11 x 17” piece cut from cardboard or brown paper bag)
- A selection of papers (colored paper, old magazines, cards, photographs, etc.)
- Marking or drawing tools (crayons, markers, pencils, etc.)
- Glue or glue-stick
- Other embellishments! (such as ribbon, stickers, washi tape)
- Tip: Consider using a copy of your special photo or print rather than gluing in the original.